Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Lesson Learned...
My first year in India I took two pictures that I regretted taking. I regretted both for the same reason. Both pictures were very good, but really, both were “stolen”. Both were taken of people I didn’t know. One was of a little girl, maybe two years old, who was sitting and crying in the street. Her brother, maybe four, seemed to be responsible for her. It was late, she was little, dirty and probably hungry. I was hurrying to get on the bus and stopped for a second and took her picture. As soon as I sat down I regretted that picture. I regretted that in the one second I had with her I took her picture. I forever wished I would have used that second to kneel down and ask if she was o.k. or offered this little one some kind of comfort as she sat, crying in the busy street. But instead, I had “stolen” her picture. The other picture I regretted was of an older lady in a village where we stopped to visit. My “national geographic photographer wanna be” kicked in. I knew this picture of her scrubbing pots was going to be a good one.. it was, but I regretted not going over, shaking her hand and introducing myself. I regretted in both cases forgetting first to love and get to know people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you for reminding me (us)about respect and how "people's stories" are their stories. We need to not assume that we have the "right" to their stories...instead it should be theirs to offer (whether it be through snatching their picture or gathering gossip). Such a powerful reminder.
ReplyDeletewell said.
ReplyDeletei understand your struggles as a photographer.
my approach is to build relationships, commune, love, and maybe take a picture after haha. it doesn't always work that way of course, but we can strive right? i think sometimes if youc an't build that community around a photograph, you just have to make sure your intentions for taking the photo are in the right place. sometimes it hurts and feels like stealing to take those photos but in the end you could help the whole rather than the individual via awareness.
good stuff.
love the blogggg
say hi to EVERYONE for me! gosh do i miss that place.