You can teach a teacher “Special Ed Skills” but you can’t give a teacher a “Special Ed Heart.” The school I am at this week has both, one teacher has knowledge.. but fortunately one has heart.
He has started calling me Aka..(sister). His eyes are big and he is never in his seat .. but at least now he is staying in the classroom. His language is limited but he is very perceptive. He has become the teacher's shadow. During an activity he will periodically survey the room - checking to make sure all other children are on task before being reseated. If someone is not on task he is quick to discipline. He is glued to his teacher's hip - which is a good spot for him since she truly appreciates him and has every intention to teach him. “My job is to teach every soul.. he can stay with me next year too if they need,” she confides.
I aspire to be like his teacher. She is firm but loving. She scolds parents for not working with their children or because they bring them to school late. In a class of over 50 she knows each child's story, what aches their heart, and what impacts their families.
Yesterday another teacher called a meeting with this child's mom indicating that he should not be allowed to stay at this school. His teacher went to bat for him and requested that he should stay. Permission was granted but... I could see the hurt in his mom's eyes as she watched this discussion transpire (through a window). I have seen it many times before .... a parent aches for their child’s rejection. Fears flash through their minds worrying that their child won’t make it and concerned about the road ahead. Usually, I can offer words of comfort but this time, I can only hope my touch and body language offered enough support. I just wanted to hug her... he will be ok...he has a great teacher.. and an obviously loving mom...I tell myself.
(I wrote this a few days back when I had no internet. Today, I got to talk with his mom again. She seemed happier today. I know she knows that her son is loved. I so much enjoy those moments when you connect with someone without words but know the message came across.)
Praise God for words unspoken...communicating in just the way needed....from heart to heart.
ReplyDelete