Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New School

I can’t always remember what I post on here..but I do know what continues to play again and again in my mind…the power of education.
My favorite picture recently was of a ninth class girl preparing for her school's opening ceremony. She peered in the broken mirror leaning against the window....looking....and obviously full of pride, confidence, and excitement. A younger girl takes it all in, watching in admiration.
The room was buzzing with excitement. Girls were peeking through windows gazing at the approaching crowd , giggling at my awe of them. They look magnificent. Dresses beautifully fitted, hair filled with flowers, bells around their ankles, fingertips dyed with henna and make-up perfectly applied. I am not sure where these girls live or where they come from but I could tell they felt beautiful. Confidence radiated from them and they looked about five years older than they had the day before, dressed in their school uniforms. Not knowing the girls I might have thought they always possessed this poise.
As the program began the girls danced. Parents and children visited and shared experiences; supporters were recognized. But before moving to the ribbon cutting ceremony at the beautiful new building we were reminded of how the school began. It all started on the front porth of a house. Teachers not only taught content but children learned how to sit, listen, and how to come to school clean and ready to learn. What struck me the most was the question posed to parents. "How many parents can sign their name?" The majority sign with a fingerprint. Now, a generation later, their children have leanred not only to sign their name but to read, write, and speak with confidence. Watch out world.. here they come! Congratulations everyone on your new school I feel so privileged to have been there.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inviting your followers along with you on this adventure. Your descriptions allow us to join a moment in time with you...and your poignant
    picture(s)provide vivid images that linger in the heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete