Monday, June 27, 2011

Not Impossible!

I believe that we will never know what a person is capable of becoming. Too often we see limitations and decide for others what they can and can’t achieve and then teach them inside the limits we have predetermined. I believe we should assume each child can succeed. We must find ways to enhance that potential by looking outside of the box.

This has become my teaching philosophy. .. and while I believe it.. my students are still young and therefore it is hard to see the results of my investment. But as a teacher, I can’t imagine the joy of seeing one of my students achieve what others said WOULD NOT be possible. As a teacher of students with special needs there sometimes seems to be a lot of “impossible” spoken around and about my students.
This week, I am staying in the home of a musically gifted family. I have been so so blessed by evening concerts and times of family singing. On Saturday, we all went to see their son perform with his college choir. He has perfect pitch and can play almost any song by ear, upon request. He is in his second year of college and will soon be preparing for his final music test. This talented young man also has Autism.
On Sunday, via skype, we were all able to talk to his first teacher, who taught him as a second grader. She remembered a boy much different from the man he is today. Her investment in this young man, and the investment of his family, has certainly paid off. This family and teacher have an unbreakable bond because both believed in the "possible" rather than the "impossible." They believed in the pursuit of a dream!

3 comments:

  1. Lauren,
    I am so proud of you. Reading your post made me smile. It is so crucial that we as educators, see the best in our students. You are a blessing.
    Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the sister of the above mentioned young man, I agree fully that we MUST learn to look beyond the "impossible" because the definition of what that is, keeps changing. The limits are shattered and new ones are set. The one thing that does not change is that investing your time and love in the lives of the children you teach and nurture will ALWAYS have results. You may not see them just yet, but they're on the way... I miss you already, my sister (from another mother!)May your travels be blessed! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I wish more students can have a teacher like you, helping them get as closer to their dreams as possible instead of telling them what they can't achieve.

    I recently was inspired by a video on youtube of a talent show winner(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Qut0Nrsiw). After watching that, I started believing there's almost nothing that you cannot dream about and pursue. As long as you have perseverance, nothing is impossible.

    ReplyDelete