I visited the home of the little girl I sponsor. She is the second of four sisters living in the home (two older sisters live elsewhere). Their small house has two rooms. A front room for cooking and a back room for sleeping. The back room has a small bed with only a thin straw mat resting against its metal frame.
Over the years the family has been blessed with support from the larger community. The youngest daughter (now about 4) had open heart surgery a year ago. She is doing well. Her energy bubbles over. She burst into my arms when she saw me. She is always in motion...doing muscle poses in front of the camera and running in and out of the house like a whirlwind. The only sign of her once weak heart is the scar on her chest.
In order to keep the children healthy the family needs more than the typical meal of rice. Vegetables are expensive and difficult to afford. At times, others will give the family these items but instead of keeping the food for her children..the mother shares with neighbors. A truly generous heart.
Please keep this family in your prayers. The oldest daughter has not attended school in a month. She promises to return on Monday but I am skeptical. While math is a struggle, I know that lifelong difficulties will continue without an education. When I asked what would convince her to go back..she said.. “PRAYER”.
We will pray for the family that wisdom and good health will come their way. Thanks you Lauren for throwing starfish back into the ocean!
ReplyDelete