I think, that when I first started coming to India I felt more confident. Over time, it seems that it should get easier to stand in front of a group of teachers and speak but it has not. Often now, I am speaking the words I planned to say but my brain is thinking something completely different. Usually, over and over again these thoughts are repeating in my mind..."You have no business talking to these teachers. You know nothing about Indian education."
In reality, that voice is probably more accurate now than it was years ago. These teachers are amazing. They tech in their third or fourth language, sometimes not even able to speak a common language with their students. There are often 50 (or more) students in a class, in rooms that are packed so tightly that you cannot walk from the front of the or back of the classroom without having to shuffle students around or step over them. Teachers do not have full cupboards... or any cupboards of supplies for that matter. They face the same pressures we do- a curriculum to follow, content to cover and students who do not always understand. There is not a resource room or extra help available. So they alone carry the burden of moving student forward.
There is no copy machine so tests and papers are written by hand. Teachers come to school by bus, sometimes traveling for more than an hour. If they miss the bus they may wait a very long time before another comes. From the bus stop they may walk a mile or more before reaching school. All receive less pay than they might elsewhere. Despite all of these truths, they accept me and allow me into their classrooms to speak with them and teach their children (me who comes from a class of 7 children with access to lots of help and full cupboards and endless resources).
I am humbled by the work done here and thrilled to be a small part of it. I am so happy this week to work with teachers who are able to use some of the ideas I have shared despite my own insecurities. I think I am the one who has much to learn.
In reality, that voice is probably more accurate now than it was years ago. These teachers are amazing. They tech in their third or fourth language, sometimes not even able to speak a common language with their students. There are often 50 (or more) students in a class, in rooms that are packed so tightly that you cannot walk from the front of the or back of the classroom without having to shuffle students around or step over them. Teachers do not have full cupboards... or any cupboards of supplies for that matter. They face the same pressures we do- a curriculum to follow, content to cover and students who do not always understand. There is not a resource room or extra help available. So they alone carry the burden of moving student forward.
There is no copy machine so tests and papers are written by hand. Teachers come to school by bus, sometimes traveling for more than an hour. If they miss the bus they may wait a very long time before another comes. From the bus stop they may walk a mile or more before reaching school. All receive less pay than they might elsewhere. Despite all of these truths, they accept me and allow me into their classrooms to speak with them and teach their children (me who comes from a class of 7 children with access to lots of help and full cupboards and endless resources).
I am humbled by the work done here and thrilled to be a small part of it. I am so happy this week to work with teachers who are able to use some of the ideas I have shared despite my own insecurities. I think I am the one who has much to learn.
Trust that things are unfolding exactly as intended...and the responsibility for orchestrating the outcome is not yours.
ReplyDelete