Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Feast

Dear Marc,


I am not sure if you will change the world…but for tonight, a community of people will go to bed with full stomachs, happy hearts, and giving thanks to God for the kindness of a seven year old.

Whenever I visited the ------- it seemed poverty was everywhere.  Families lived inside the broken remains of large pipes.  They made them into a dwelling by adding an additional cement slab brick room and maybe a little “patio” out front.  The living was simple and had been that way for years.  But this year, when I came back, all of the pipes had been destroyed.  Most of the families left but....for the few who remained, the conditions were much worse.  Now, they are living in homes made from cement and scrap metal.  There is no electricity and thus, there is no fan to move the air. The temperature in the rooms soar and it feels like an oven inside. Also, there is no water supply. The pipe company has closed but continues to promise future employment when they re-open.  Unfortunately, days have dragged to months, and those still waiting have no income.

Food, when they have it consists of rice and dahl.  They are hungry. So Marc, I know that you had hungry kids on your heart but I didn’t think you would mind if I made a slight change and included the adults. Tonight, they will have a feast.  Each family got 3kgs of rice, .5 kgs of chicken, and a small bag of vegetables thanks to you.  Additonally, they got a packet of milk, a few eggs, and some bananas.   I wish you could have seen their faces.  We told them all about you, your heart, your sprit, and your family.  They wanted to see your picture. I handed the oldest lady my camera and she kissed the image of you that she saw.  You may never meet them, but I know, that you and your family have a new prayer team that lives in a small village in a very poor section of India. We know that God hears the cries and prayers of the poor.  Marc, you have made a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment