Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Flying


Traveling Home

It took 52 hours from the time I left one home and arrived at the next.  If you add the time from the first missed flight till I got on one the next morning - it totaled 65 hours.  That is a really long time. (Usually it takes just under 24 hours.)  In D.C., (the last airport) the flight was first scheduled at 5:30, then 9:00, then moved up till 7:30 and then canceled. Later it was announced that it was back on again with a gate change (to a gate that never existed) and finally officially canceled.  We were told we would have to wait and fly out the next afternoon.  As we waited in line to be reassigned to a flight the man behind me, who was coming from Rome, spoke of his exhaustion. Poor guy had been flying for 15 hours.  My first layover alone was 14 so I was quick to point out how my travel time exceeded his. 

I would like to give a shout out to _____from Air India, who works in the Mumbai airport.  Thank you for your compassion.  I am sorry I was sobbing in your lobby and had to go to the bathroom twice before being able to collect myself enough to finally check my luggage.  I am not sure what caused it....I can usually  hold it together better than that.  But thanks, I love your country and was sad to go. Friends had been texting me all day, checking in, and your kindness felt like a final hug from them so thanks. I think, right then, your care was exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment