This year, I am finding teachers in need of encouragement. They often leave home to live in other states and/or travel long distances to teach some very needy children. I hope these words encourage their hearts... Really, it is true for all teachers.
Why Do You Teach?
I am not sure why you do this job
You make such little pay.
You have to teach so many children
And travel far each day.
It certainly can’t feel worth it
When students don’t seem to understand -
When they haven’t done their homework
And nothing goes as planned.
Most parents never help them
Those kids are the most frustrating kind
They have no shoes, wear dirty clothes,
And they never seem to mind.
But I am guessing just like me
Those aren’t the reasons that you teach.
I am guessing that you dreamed
Of the lives that you would reach.
I am guessing you felt called here
He only asks the best
To lead and guide his children -
You must have been up for the test.
So when I watch you teach
I want you to know what I see
Sometimes you need to be reminded
By an outsider like me.
I see children
Each with a story to tell.
Some already have it difficult,
Life may not have started well.
Sometimes it’s the ones
That seem the hardest to teach
Who are the ones
We most need to reach.
For when they come to school
They have the chance to learn something new,
Not just reading and arithmetic
But that they’re valued too.
I see teachers
With lessons they must teach
And every word that they speak
Affects the lives they’re sent to reach.
Little eyes are always watching.
Little hearts sense your love.
The way that you conduct yourself
Is the first example of your compassion and love.
I see hope!
As hopeless as it once seemed -
With an education anything is possible
And kids can dream any dream.
Each child is different.
You teach and they will grow.
Some will struggle but don’t give up,
Who knows how far they’ll go.
Of course some days are difficult
And you wonder what you're doing here.
But nothing is impossible
And God is always near.
Just meditate on His word
He has called you to this place
And what once seemed impossible
You will find you are able to face.
I am privileged to share the title of “teacher” with so many
amazing people who educate children.
Getting caught up on your latest postings, Lauren-- loved your poem about the car breakdown and also your poem about/tribute to teachers. Wonderful words! Wishing you only good adventures in India in these final days.
ReplyDeleteThanks Barb.. I am not usually so poetic.. not sure where they are coming from. I made the poem about teachers into a video slide show.. I will have to post it.
ReplyDelete