Monday, July 2, 2012

I am only one, But still I am one. I cannot do everything, But still I can do something; And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

The other shoppers in the bookstore today, crowded around to hear Marc’s story, even asking questions as they tried to wrap their mind around the tale of this generous and ambitious seven year old.


Last year Marc developed a heart for India and wanted to do something. So, by saving his allowance he bought five of his favorite books and sent them with me to pass out to schools. Months later his mom called, after the family returned from a trip to the beach. On the trip Marc had collected an abundance of shells – more than any kid should be taking home. When his mother asked, “Why all the shells?” he told her that he wanted to sell them to make money for the kids in India. Inspired by her son’s vision and wanting to help him fulfill it, she was somewhat uncertain whether many people would purchase any of her son’s shells. After some crafty packaging, the date for the sale was set. With final preparations in place Marc said he wanted to make sure to invite “the guys” (his baseball team) and handed out fliers. At his sale Marc raised $140.00. Inspired by his efforts, a friend from church offered to match Marc’s sum…bringing his total to $280.00. Driven by his desire to do even more Marc informed the donor that with only $20.00 more he could reach $300.00. It was given. Joined by yet another donor and ten dollars of his own allowance Marc was able to send $410.00 to India. His plan is to fill an empty library with books and give the rest to “feed the hungry kids.”

Thanks Marc for inspiring me, those in the bookstore, and now those reading this blog, of your generous heart. A few days before leaving for India Marc’s asked his mom, “Mom, do you know what I am thinking…. I think that next year I need to build a lot of libraries.”

If you would like to help Marc reach his goal please let me know.. or just be inspired to





3 comments:

  1. A blessed reminder of what is expected of each one of us...we all have a purpose while life we are given...may we seek and accept that purpose. Thank you for your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspirational story of the wisdom and creativity of a seven year old! How can one help but capture his enthusiasm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,
    Marc inspires me. Thank you for sharing his story. And thank you for sharing your compassion for the children of India. It wakes me up when I read your posts.

    Pat Burns

    ReplyDelete