So here are my thoughts.. it’s a swirl of things wrapping
their way into one.
I am reading a book called Bread and Wine. It’s about the life,
laughter and the friendship that happen when you join together for a meal, around a table. It is inspiring me to want to
do that more...to have a house where old
and new friends gather to cook and share a meal. This book makes me want to savor foods and
savor life.
Paralleling that, I have been witnessing a beautiful thing in
India, where I am staying. Each week a
group of people visit neighboring slums.
They visit, talk, and encourage. Many of us try that. We step into circles (different than are own)
and engage in a “service project” for a little while before stepping back out
and going on our way. But what I am observing here and what I love is that the involvement doesn't stop there. It is much more inclusive. Meals are shared, kids play together, and homes
are visited. The walls that divide shrink. When you eat and
fellowship together - the walls that divide begin to crack. I like that.. and I love
watching it.
I woke up this morning to unending news feeds about the
Trayvon Martin case. Since I am currently
in India I have not had much access to U.S. news so I have heard nothing of the
trial. All I know is what I am seeing on Facebook and I know the trial has
raised a lot of questions and here is mine. How do we change our communities? I am going to
suggest something that may seem insignificant in light of a much larger problem…but what if it starts with having dinner… because I believe this....
"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding." –Albert Einstein.
I have to imagine that understanding begins by talking - and
where better to talk than around a table filled with food. I am hoping this is not a passing phase in my heart. Soon school will start and busyness will
begin. It is easy to settle into a
routine. But I am praying my routine
begins to include more meals around my table with old and new friends.
So, who’s in… who's coming to dinner?
Hi Lauren! I've been enjoying your photos of India. I love seeing all the little faces and most of all your great smile.
ReplyDeleteI read today's blog and what a great reminder. We get so wrapped up in our everyday schedule and it is so easy to get caught up in our routines. Our church has made a big push this year of reaching out to our neighbors and inviting them over for a meal or cookout. The theme is "Building Bridges". You certainly have had the opportunity to build a bridge that most of us will never have or choose to do. What a blessing you are to so many. And I am sure in ways you will never know until eternity when you will receive the best reward anyone can have.
God Bless. Vicki Emig